Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Busy Lives


You know, my life has seemed so busy lately, I'm sure a lot of you know what I'm talking about, especially if you have kids at home, jobs, pets...........etc.... But, I have been thinking of how ridiculous it actually is. I mean, why do we fill our lives with all of this stuff??? How much of it is really effecting who we are?? I really don't know.

Danielle has basketball practice, and games. She has hip-hop lessons, and recitals. She has been wanting to ski every weekend, so we have been working that in as much as possible. She is so involved with friends, I believe it may be taking over her life, a little. She is involved in all sorts of after school activities that actually have to do with school. We go to every single after school function at her school. We even take other parents' kids along. I hate to say that I do think that a lot of these activities have really been good for her. Oh, and let's not forget homework. Do you know how much homework a second grader has these days. It's crazy. I also hate to say that I have recently wanted to add a couple things to that list, but my husband said....."she's busy enough already!!!" I know, I know. But she would like to start other things also. I guess we need to wait till she finishes up basketball.

So, since we have had the river place, our lives have seemed to be extra full of this weekend getaway experience. And for the most part, I think this has been an awesome addition to our life. It has brought it's share of headaches and problems, but the good parts, I think, greatly out weigh the bad. By a long shot. But it for sure has taken up much more of our time then we EVER imagined. We thought we would be sitting in front of the fire, drinking a beer, relaxing, yeah right. You only get to do that after all the work is done. Hey, when is all the work gonna be done???

Joe's promotion has brought on a very different atmosphere in this house. Our weeks seem to go by extra fast when he is down in Utah for a couple of days. (at least for me...) He probably thinks the time just drags on. This has actually given me a bit of time to tidy up my house so that when he is home, we have a bit more time for the "other" stuff. We feel like we are continually coming and going.

My volunteering for AARP has been a great experience, but as with all things, when you start to help out people, they would always love to have more help. So, I think this year I have successfully been able to keep my hours down and only go in one day a week, but they are already gearing me up for next year and talking about seeing me more...............I really like doing this, but I also don't want it to effect my family time. At all. No getting around it.

Ok, so the point I was trying to get across is this.............

When I was growing up, our lives just didn't seem this full of "stuff". It all seemed a little simpler. Maybe I am just imagining things, but it just didn't seem so hectic 20 years ago. Have we all chosen to be this busy? I guess in a way, we have. We could tell Danielle she couldn't be so involved in things. We could get some self control and stop volunteering for so much stuff. We could try to stay home a little more often, and just enjoy being here. But hey, what fun is that??? We have gotten used to a busier schedule full of activities, and sometimes I actually think we would go nuts if it was less full. Or are we already nuts??? Probably.

2 Yorum var:

Lynsey said...

OH Kel, I totally relate. I dont remember my parents being that busy when we were little! But, you're being such good parents by giving Danielle such a fulfilling life so keep up the great work!! And in the meantime, stop and take a bubble bath whenever you can. It's my opinion that bubble baths fix everything...and wine. :-)

Kelli said...

Thanks. Sometimes I feel like we aren't doing her any good by being this busy. But, she actually thrives on it. If she isn't busy, her world is falling apart. That's one thing we need to work on, for sure. And I know we've only brought it on ourselves!!!!
Off to my bubble bath!!!