Tuesday, February 06, 2007

A Quote along with a story......


I was looking for a quote to post to my blog today, and I came across this one, and I immediately thought of my mom. I am not very good at putting my thoughts into words, but I hope that I can do it good enough this time, so that you will all understand just how much I appreciate my mom's influence with Danielle, and of course, our whole family.

The quote is this.......


If a child is to keep alive his inborn sense of wonder, he needs the companionship of at least one adult who can share it, rediscovering with him the joy, excitement and mystery of the world we live in. ~Rachel Carson


So, as I read it, I wanted to find the perfect picture to go along with it, and I looked and I found many to choose from. The reason there were so many to choose from is because this is the way that my mom is around her grand kids. ALWAYS helping, showing, explaining, laughing, and teaching my daughter whatever she wants to learn or experience. If there is any possibility for my mom to help her, she will. And its not just helping, but the patience along with the help is just something that she does without thinking. I, on the other hand, was not given this gift of patience like my mom has. I need to continually work to be patient, and sometimes I unfortunately fail. But she never does. The kids can learn to water- color paint ( and drip paint and water all over), they can put huge puzzles together with help from grandma, they can make Christmas gingerbread houses with sticky frosting and tiny candies that get lost in the carpet, they can learn how to sew, they can plant flowers (even if they aren't the most gentle and break off a few leaves, grandma never minds..) they can make tons of crafts, they can read for hours on end with her and she'll listen just as closely the 10th time as she did the first, and it seems she never tires. How does she do it? When I become a grandmother will I have this gift? I can only hope and pray that I do. Because it is that gift, that means the world to the kids that are experiencing it first hand. And they will cherish that gift forever. And I believe it will help to shape the way they interact when they become grandparents. So, here's a huge shout-out to my mom, " Thank you, thank you, thank you, what a difference you are making."

2 Yorum var:

Lynsey said...

Awww, I love your Mom too...I too, have such fond memories of her when I was little, I especially remember once when I fell asleep at your house and woke up terrified, had no clue where I was so I just layed there and screamed bloody murder until she carried me home. I bet she remembers that too! :-)

Kelli said...

That's funny. I don't remember that but I'm sure she does. You know, she seemed to have tons of patience when we were kids also. I don't know if she would take much credit for it, but she did.