Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Things that make you go hmmmmmmm


Ok, I ran across a really weird thing when I was doing taxes this past week. I was helping this husband and wife. They have 3 kids at home. They do not make much money........AT ALL. So, I had done about 4 returns already for previous tax payers, and everyone that day had qualified for something that Idaho calls the "Grocery tax credit". What this is, is a credit that Idaho gives back to tax payers because we pay a state tax on groceries (food). So, when I finished this family of five's return, I was going over it with them, and I noticed that the grocery credit did not automatically come up like it had on the previous 4 I had done. So, I stopped and looked over everything again, making sure that I put in the right amount of dependants, etc. I mean, this credit is worth $20.00 per person and that would mean $100.00 for this deserving family. So, I looked back at the return, and everything looked right on it. But still, the credit did not post. So, I asked my supervisor to come over and take a look at it too see if I made an error or what??? After about 5 minutes of looking, he finally remembered that you have to make a certain amount of income in order to qualify for this particular credit. WHAT??? You mean, if you don't make enough money, you don't qualify for this grocery credit.???? That is like, bizarre. These people are buying groceries for 5 people for crying out loud. They make an income that qualifies them to be in the poverty level. If this family does not qualify for the grocery tax credit, then who does. I believe that these type of people are who deserve it most. Maybe I'm crazy.

2 Yorum var:

Lynsey said...

No you're not crazy, that is really sad actually. Can you imagine what they're grocery store trips are like? Probably very brief. I can't even think about it, it breaks my heart!

Kelli said...

What is this country coming too???? I just think it should go to the MOST needy first!!! But lord knows when it comes to politics its all screwy, that's for sure!