Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Seperate Ways, by Rick Trevino

Some of you may know that my parents divorced after around 31 years of marriage. They were high-school sweethearts. They were supposed to be together forever. They were never supposed to do what they did. But they did.

People change I guess, people think different things as time goes by, people sometimes grow apart, but my parents weren't supposed to. But they did.

You know, I am a 31 year old adult, and I can still tell you, that it breaks my heart EVERY day, when I think about my parents going their separate ways. I know some people that have experienced their parents split up, and they know just how I feel. The other ones that haven't experienced this, don't. They might want to, but they don't. I understand why they don't, because I used to be one of them, on the outside. Instead, now I'm here, on the inside of this "break-up". The divorce has been final for years, but it is still very close to my heart, as it also is to my parents. It will always be.

So, I heard this song on the radio today, and it made me cry. This isn't so odd in itself, because I cry often when I hear songs that touch me. But this one really hit home, because I have BEEN there. I have felt all of those feelings. This song does not follow the exact story of what happened to our family during this "ending of their relationship", but the last verse in this song explains tons about what I still feel......, it goes..."..... the last thing they ever did together, will haunt me forever and ever". You might understand it better if you read all the lyrics, so here they are......

"He was never much for shopping. But you’d always see him with her at the store.
She was never much for football, She’d sit there and pretend she wasn’t bored.
You saw one you saw the other. Like a two lane Texas highway straight and true.
But just over that horizon the road that they were riding split in two.

(Chorus)
Separate ways, his and hers, A love that went from great to good
to bad to worse.
Separate lives, what a waste.
The last thing they ever did together was go their separate ways.

It really scares me baby. How easily that good love slipped away.
Let’s remember that forever, is something that we should work at everyday.
And after all those years together, it killed me when I saw their love go bad.
So let’s hold on to each other and don’t end up like my mother and my dad.

(Chorus)
Separate ways his and hers. A love that went from great to good to bad to worse.
Separate lives what a waste.
The last thing they ever did together was go their separate ways.

Yeah the last thing they ever did together, Will haunt me forever and ever,
Let’s promise one another that we’ll never go our separate ways."

So, there it is, and I don't want any of you to think I love either of them any less for what has happened. I think I might even love them more now. I know what loosing something is like now. I haven't lost either one of them separately, but I have lost "them". They will never be a "them" again. But, they both still mean the world to me and I still hold those memories of "them" really close to my heart, but far enough away that I don't dwell on it too much. I just hope I can keep those memories alive in my daughters heart, because she was pretty young when they were together, and she thinks the way it is now, is the way it has always been. But it wasnt..............

2 Yorum var:

Lynsey said...

OH Kel I totally relate. Going back to those Mill Road days, who would've thought our parents would divorce? I have to say, I was more shocked when yours did...I didn't see that coming so I can't imagine how YOU felt. We're so blessed with great parents, we really are...and you have to remember that there is NO SHAME in wishing that things were the way they used to be. No shame in that at all. Big hugs, Lynsey

Kelli said...

Thanks honey. I know you can relate, unfortunately. I totally didn't see it coming with your parents either. Life just sucks sometimes, huh. Oh well, we have to just keep going on. Love ya!!!