Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Out in Po-Dunk



Is that how you spell that???? I have not used proper grammar in so long...............:-)


Anyway, these pictures are of Zims Hot Springs Resort, near McCall, Idaho. The story is, the motel that I made reservations for did not have a swimming pool. Ok, that does not seem like such a big deal to me...........But let me tell ya, my daughter thought that her world was gonna come crashing down when we got inside the grand old Super 8 and she noticed that there was no pool in sight. Heck, you can't be picky when you have a dog in tow. The choices were dogs allowed, or pool. Not both. So thats how it came to be.

So, after about an hour of shopping, we went back to the hotel and 2 minutes after sitting down on our beds Danielle was like............" I'm Booooooorrrrrreeeddddd". Ok. So, upon further observation, there really aren't too many kid friendly activities going on in McCall on a Sunday at about 6:30 pm. No movie theatre, no shopping malls, they have a skating rink but we went there and they were having a "shuffle-board" type tournament with grown adults, so there was no open skating. Bummer. So, we looked and looked through the yellow pages. I found a theatre that shows one show at a time in Cascade about 30 miles away. That was one option. Then, I saw it. There are a bunch of natural hot springs in the country around McCall. I got on the phone and called the closest one I could find and they said they were open till 10:00pm. Wow. We're there.

When we got there it was totally what I had expected and more. Old, out-dated building that was built by hand back in like 1700 or something. Quiet older gentleman behind the counter looking like he wished everyone would just go home so he could get back to bed. The steam was coming up around the outdoor pools behind us. The pools could have used some "re-furbishing" but they were huge. One of them was Olympic sized and the temp in that was about 95- 98 degrees. The other smaller pool was about 104-110 degrees. Steaming hot. Steam was rolling out of these pools and the water was coming straight out of the ground into pipes that fed the pools. Danielle was very intrigued. It didn't take her long to slip off her pants and jump in the water. Oooooohhhh, how good that felt. There were like 3 other people there besides us. Perfect.

So, I took a couple of pictures, got in the "cooler" pool and then slipped into the "burning" pool and relaxed. You can only be in there for like 15 minutes tops or I think your brain will fry like an egg or something. Anyway, I thought, what the heck, I'll try it. It felt HOT. Hey, when I had to go to the bathroom I went inside and went to the little girls room and guess what??? Even the toilet water was hot. Yep, the seats felt nice and warm and everything. Strange, I know. I think I might figure out a way to get our water in the toilets at home hot. It feels nice and toasty when you sit down....................Heck, who cares if our heating bill goes up. :-)

So, in the future, I am NOT going to pass these type of places up and say how cheesy they would be and how I wouldn't be caught dead in a place like that. Although, I bet people have died in that hotter pool.............. I am going to drag my butt in there and experience po-dunk. We are sooooo glad we did. You should too.

Oh, one more thing. Up on the fence by the pool there was a list of rules. You know, like, no diving, no splashing...............well, the last one said.........no spawning. My mom, Joe and I laughed at it but Danielle noticed it about 30 minutes into our swim and she was like..."mom, what does spawning mean?", and at first I was like, "I'm not sure honey" and I was looking to my mom and Joe for help and they just sat there. So finally I was like..." Oh, I think it is like when fish lay eggs in the water or something. So no laying eggs." She kind of looked at me funny and continued on with her swimming.

2 Yorum var:

Lynsey said...

Sounds like fun! I love hot springs!

Kelli said...

It was super fun. Relaxin' to!!!