Friday, April 06, 2007

Why do we celebrate Easter?


That is the question that my daughter asked me yesterday. You know, I think she was talking about the Easter that has to do with the "Easter bunny". That is the only thing some kids really think about when they think about Easter. So I told her that I was not really sure where the "Easter bunny" thing came from, but that the only thing I did know, was that this holiday we call Easter, really doesn't have anything to do with the "Easter Bunny", but it has everything to do with Jesus and Christianity. So, I explained to her that the holiday is celebrated by us because it is the day that Jesus rose to heaven, so that some day we also would rise up to heaven, and have everlasting life. She remembered us talking about this before, and it all started coming back to her.


"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life" (John 3:16).


This is actually one of the most meaningful holiday's for Christians. I actually feel kind of bad that it has turned into the egg coloring, egg hunting, chocolate bunny eating, festival that it has. But on the other hand, I think it is also good that it has a special meaning for the little ones, because some of them may not really understand the true meaning behind this holiday, because of their youth, or for whatever reason. So, it is our job to teach our children about Jesus, and I believe that this actually helps bring them closer to loving this holiday for what it truly is. A celebration of life......everlasting life. On this day more than ever we need to be thankful for the sacrifices Jesus made for us, and know that we will one day Join him in heaven.


So, on this Friday before Easter, Good Friday, the day that Jesus was crucified and died on the cross, I am taking time to remember what the "true" meaning of this holiday is. I am trying to share my belief's and my knowledge ( though it may seem quite sparse sometimes ) with my daughter, for that is what I was taught to do.
Have a very happy Easter everyone. Find tons of eggs, eat tons of chocolate, have visits with family, and also take time to remember the "true" meaning of Easter.

2 Yorum var:

Lynsey said...

What a nice post Kel! Thank you for that...and you're right, we do need to stop and realize that "Good Friday" isn't just a day off from work, and that Easter isn't just about candy! You're doing a great job with teaching Danielle the important things in life, I hope I can follow your example!

Kelli said...

Ooooohhh, thanks lyn. Have a great Easter!!!! You know you don't need me as an example!!!!!!