Sunday, April 22, 2007

Did I mention that I can not stand cats?????

I am just making sure you all know that I am very serious about this issue. This is why it is sort of a strange thing that we purchased this fixer house. Why, you ask??? Well, the owners of this house were cat breeders. Yes, they had cats coming out of the woodwork. And I am very serious about this, people. Fortunately, they rented their U-haul, pulled it up to the back door, and loaded about 30 crates full of cats into the back. (all this info provided to me from the nosy neighbor next door....) Oh, and by the way, he also filled me in about something else................the house smells like cats. Duhhhhhhhhhh. We already figured that out. Actually, when I walked up to the front porch for the first time to view this lovely home, I smelled it before I even went INTO the house. Yep, it was that potent. So, upon entering this "cat home", we really didn't get much of a surprise.

But you know, I researched this problem before we bought this house and I saw that there were a ton of different products you could buy to remove this god awful stench from any area. So, I called around, searched the internet, talked to some people that had a similar problem, and we decided to go on with the purchase.

So, I purchased a couple of gallons of this stuff they call "nature's miracle". Oh, yeah, it's a miracle all right, its a miracle I paid so much for that crap. It was like 30.00 dollars a gallon and after applying multiple gallons..........guess what???? Yep, we can still smell kitties. Natures miracle my ass.....

So, then we got an air purifier. Commercial purifier. You know, the kind that insurance companies use to get the smoke smell out of a burnt house.......This had to work, right. Well, I think it did help a bit. Actually, everything we have done has improved this stench, but none as of yet have removed it.

Here's a funny little tid-bit......The furnace would not start up during the home inspection. It was a fairly new furnace and so it should have still been in working order, so the owner had a repair man come out and look at it, and sure enough, it was clogged up by something. Hmmmmmm, what could it be...........................yep, CAT HAIR. Fricken balls of cat fur. Nice...
So, they un-clogged it and the furnace fired up like it was brand spankin' new.

Oh, and Joe has been vacuuming cat hair from the vents, from the corners, from the seams in the wood floors, everywhere you can think of. Gross, huh.

So, today, we started painting the floors and about 3-4 feet up the walls with Kilz. This stuff is supposed to trap in the odor and make a barrier. Cross your fingers guys, this HAS to work. Otherwise, our only other option is to have the place fumigated. Sounds like fun........guys in big orange suits with respirators, looking like they are headed to a meth house clean-up. Nice.....I'm sure anyone that see's that will be the first ones standing in line to buy the place when it goes on the market..............

2 Yorum var:

Lynsey said...

You know what you need? A cat. :)

Kelli said...

No way in hell, baby. No way in hell.....