Saturday, April 28, 2007

It's been a year..........


And it doesn't feel like it. One year ago today I got the bad news from my dad, who was down in California. His brother, my uncle, had died. Most of you all know he had cancer. We still miss him just as if it happened yesterday. His face and smile still fill my memories, and I still cherish them, and hope they stay this vivid forever.

So, the other day I was looking through my daughters school journals from last school year, and I came across this one in particular. You know, I knew how much the death of a family member effected me, being an adult, but I guess I underestimated how it effected my daughter. I mean, she was definitely effected by it, and I could tell she hated that I was upset, and wanted mommy to be "fine" again. But, I knew she was still small, and I really wasn't sure how she would handle it. I mean, most of the time young kids can be distracted very easily, and if she got a new game or something, her thoughts would then be about that "new exciting toy" she received. So, I watched her progress, and made sure she knew it was OK to be sad, and that if she needed to talk to me about it, I would. And we went on with our normal routines.

So, then I run across this journal entry. She had written it almost a month after he had passed away. It really didn't surprise me that she wrote this, but it hit me like a ton of bricks when I saw it. So, here it is, and I just thought it would be nice if I posted it on this day, to remember my uncle buddy, and how much I miss him. We all do.....

(the words Danielle wrote in the journal are:

May 22, 2006

On april 28, 2006 my uncle buddy died.

I can not get over it.

On May 1, 2006 I wrote about it

in my journal.

I am still kind of sad. )




3 Yorum var:

Peter N said...

Hello Kelli...I've seen and read your comments at Lynsey's place...the Mom to be. Your post was great....be happy. Peter N.

Kelli said...

Thank you so much peter. I read your comments on lynsey's blog and you seem like such a great guy!!! We're lucky to have you read our blogs!!!!

Lynsey said...

Such a sad post! I can't believe it's been a year already....my friend Jill's father just passed away from cancer on Friday, so we're helping her deal with that. It's been rough.