Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Yeah, Oprah!!!!!


You know, for some reason when Oprah does something, people listen. Don't know why, but they do. If you are one of the lucky authors that she picks for her book club, you are set.

Anyway, I just had to blog about how happy I was to see her guest on the show yesterday. Some people probably just about puked, but I was super happy to see none other than Michael Moore on her show, doing an interview. They were talking about his new movie coming out called "Sicko". This movie is about the health care crisis here in America. For those of you who have never heard of this "health care crisis" you have been living in a cave, ok. Where I live, people are struggling every single day to pay for health care. To get their child's teeth cleaned. To get their life-saving medication, even to get a simple physical. It is awful what this country has come to. I am so tired of all of the people who have their own medical insurance, and therefore, are not worried or even concerned about what other people are going through. It's crap. The lower middle class is suffering here. The lower class gets medicare or medicaid. The people who are working hard just to make it and are in the middle class, are not "poor enough" to qualify for federal or state aid, so they are just on their own. Well, I know their struggles. We are currently lucky enough to be able to pay the premiums from my husbands work for our medical insurance. There was a day, though, that all we had was a "major" medical policy. In other words, we had a deductible of about $7500.00 for our family, per year, and if and unless we spent that much in a year, the expenses would then be covered at about 75%, but anything up to that, zero. So, I think most years we came pretty close to reaching that deductible, but I don't think we ever used the policy. So, we were actually one of the lucky families. We didn't have to worry about getting some dreaded disease and not being able to pay for it. Because we did have "some" coverage. So, having experienced that, I truly understand the struggles that alot of Americans deal with on a daily basis. People should NOT have to wonder if they can afford to take their child to the doctor. They should just be able to do it. They should be able to get quality health care for their family, without going broke in the process.

So, back to the movie....

He raises some REALLY good points about our health care system here in America. He says in the movie that for example, if you call the fire department to your house for an emergency they come, free of charge. You shouldn't have to worry about calling them because you might not be able to afford it, you just call. So why, don't we have a universal health-care system???? A fire is an emergency, so it's funded by the state. But a health crisis isn't an emergency??? Why?? Ok, I understand the issue of how to fund it. But I am not claiming to know how to do it. I think possibly you could do some research from MANY of the other countries that are not living in the dark ages anymore, that already HAVE a universal health-care system. To me that doesn't seem like rocket science, people. I don't know, maybe it is.....Either way, I think Michael Moore has the right idea. So, check out his website if you're interested......check out his video clip on his website www.michaelmoore.com. It's very interesting. Also check out the movie that is in theatres on June 29th. Lets try to stop ignoring this problem and get off our butts and do something!!!!!!!!!

2 Yorum var:

Lynsey said...

I couldn't agree more- I watched Oprah and was very intrigued. The healthcare system here is in desperate need of a change. I am also so sick of all these celebrities pushing the concerns of Africa in my face when we have a major crisis right here at home. We need to start focusing on ourselves for a change and the problems in our own communities! I count my blessings every time I go to the dr. and just have a small co-pay. I'm very fortunate compared to most of the country.

Kelli said...

I know, I agree with ya on the foreign country thing. What, are they in denial about the problems we have here??? Helloooooo.....