Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Pennies for Leukemia


It is strange sometimes how things work out. Danielle was telling me yesterday, as we were walking out of a store, that her school was having a penny drive, and asked if we could go through our change dish and contribute all our pennies to the drive. Of course, I said. Then she said, "Mom, I am pretty sure that the penny drive is for the same kind of cancer that uncle buddy had." And I said..."Oh, Leukemia?". "Yes," she said. So, I told her it was, and I was a little suprised that she still knew that, and so we started talking some more about it. She wondered what they do with the pennies that are donated, and I said that I think alot of the money goes to scientists that are trying to find a cure for the illness. She then said.."Mom, I wish they would have found a cure for it before Uncle Buddy got it.". "Me too." I replied. Then my eyes filled up with tears and somehow they were tears of sadness, AND Joy. Sadness because it has been 2 years since I took the trip down to California to see my sick uncle before he passed away. It actually seems like it has been longer than two years, and I am sure it is because I miss him so much. And I am joyful because Danielle still remembers him. Even though she was 7 years old, and we only got to see him a couple times a year, she still remembers. And that is what I had hoped for all along.

1 Comment:

Lynsey said...

oh how sweet that she said that! she'll remember him always I bet.