Thursday, May 03, 2007

What is this world coming to???


Ok, I need to vent about this for a minute. Here in Northern Idaho, prices for houses are going through the roof. Literally. Prices for gas, groceries, taxes, utilities, and tons of other things, are sky high. Here's the problem..........our wages.

Now, I am not speaking for myself here, because I have a very part-time job for the city, and I get paid a fair wage for working there. And, Joe and I are super lucky, because he has a job 10 miles over in Washington, and he makes a fair wage for working there.

So, I am actually venting for many of the "working middle class" that live in this area. How are they making it? Well, the fact of the matter is, they are BARELY making it. I know some people who in the past three years, haven't received a raise of more than $1.00. Total. That means they have received a measly .33 cents a year. And actually, they are the lucky ones. Some other people have received ZERO. So, as the price of housing goes up, and everything else under the sun goes up, does it really seem fair that wages still stay this low?? Who in their right mind thinks this is ok?? I want to hear from ya!!!

Here in Idaho, the minimum wage is at the lowest of the fricken nation, I think, and it is at $5.15. Wow, thanks. Oh, and if you're lucky enough to make tips, you get a measly $3.35. Thanks. Who decides this crap. Oh, let me guess, our state government, which is.................................republican. Is this a coincidence??? I think so, because ten miles over, in Washington state, (democratic state) their minimum wage is $7.93. A whopping $2.78 per hour difference. You have to drive just 10 minutes to Washington to get a HUGE pay raise.

Oh, but the big businesses keep rolling in over here in Idaho. They get Huge tax benefits to move here and they don't have to pay their employees as much as they would elsewhere. Perfect set-up for them, right???? That's exactly what they are thinking. But who is thinking about the people who are losing their houses, don't have medical benefits, can't make a living wage. I don't think anyone is.

0 Yorum var: