Sunday, May 06, 2007

"But, Mr. Police Officer............"


I was reading a forwarded email today, and it reminded me of something that happened to me a couple of weeks ago here in Post Falls.


I was leaving Wal-Mart, and it took longer in there than it should have....like usual... and I was headed for the local video store, to return some movies that were about to be late. So, I took the "back" way, kind-of through some empty lots and fields, thinking I could make up for "lost" time, and save myself from a late fee. So, I was rounding some corners, and one had a stop sign, but there is like NEVER anyone back there, so I thought I didn't have to come to a complete stop. I mean, for pete's sake, I thought I was the only one in town who knew of this "secret" short-cut. Evidently not. So, shortly after I failed to come to a complete stop, I see lights in my rear view mirror. After I say a few choice words to myself, I pulled to the side of the barren road. I start to pull my documents out, because I have been in this situation a time or two....and I know the routine. Mr. Police Officer comes to my window and asks me if I know what I did wrong. Now, what do you say when they ask that question??? It's kind of a trick question. So, my usual answer is..."No, officer." So he then informs me that I did not come to a complete stop. "Oh," I answer. " I guess I wasn't paying attention and since there is never any traffic on this part of the road, I looked really quick that way and then I continued. " So, he asks to see my drivers licence and insurance/reg. I find all of them but my insurance card, so he goes to his car and says he will get it when he comes back. I am irritated by now. When they go back to their car, I know very well what is next. Ticket Time. And if you know me, when I realize it's ticket time, I also get this weird urge to say something really stupid to the officer because I feel like I'm getting a citation anyway, and what could it hurt.........

So, he comes back to the car, and he asks if I found the insurance card, and I say "Yes Officer, I did. And I bet you are pretty disappointed by that." and he says, " Why is that, Maam." And I said, "Well, I am sure you are trying to meet some sort of quota or something and just a simple violation like not coming to a complete stop probably wouldn't be as satisfying to you as a no-proof of insurance violation." So, then he replies, as he hands me back my papers, "Maam, we are just trying to enforce the law out here, and here is your warning, please be more careful in the future.." Oops, I sure put my foot in my mouth......Maybe I'll keep it shut next time. But, I doubt it.

2 Yorum var:

Lynsey said...

LOL- I know, I hate getting pulled over! I haven't been in that situation in a long time though, thankfully. It's always so nerveracking, isn't it?? Reminds me of being back in high school when we'd get busted for drinking! Eeeeeeek!

Kelli said...

You know, I was a "good" girl back then, I never got busted for that. Pretty sneaky, huh....