Monday, August 06, 2007

What are people thinking?????

I heard this come out of a lady's mouth in a store today. I think she thought that since she was toting a Dooney handbag and some designer shoes, that she could just say any old thing she wanted......

She was up at the register returning a box of hair dye. I wasn't paying too much attention, just waiting for my turn to pay. So, as she was returning this, she was telling the cashier why she was exchanging it....."Oh, my friend told me to never dye my hair this black....that it would look just awful, like gook black awful."

What?? Now why did she need to say that. I mean, no, there are not many minorities here in N. Idaho, so she probably was not going to offend many, but I just wonder WHY she has to use that term. I mean, I have a friend that adopted two children from Asia, and I would just hate for her or her family to ever have to hear that. And I am not saying I am perfect, and I am sure I have said crap that I should not have said at times, but gosh, that just seemed so tasteless. Not even necessary. Hopefully she had no clue that it was a racial slur. Well, I guess in my mind it is, maybe in hers it's not. To each his own.....

2 Yorum var:

Lynsey said...

Remember what I told you- what that nurse said to me in the hospital about the n*****s?? Same thing! How did she know that I wasn't adopted by a couple of black people or something. The nerve of some people!

Kelli said...

they don't think before they talk.....