Friday, November 10, 2006

How in the world did I pass the 2nd grade???

Ok, I am starting to wonder the answer to that question. I think it was because back in my days in elementary school, we were still learning "easy stuff", and now days, it is crazy the stuff they are learning. Example of a second grade homework question:

How many chairs (4 legs) and stools (2 legs) might there be if there are a total of 78 legs.
OK, my daughter has NOT learned division. I was thinking this was the way to figure out this question. But, she can't use that. So, I was stumped. I had to turn my daughter over to my smart husband. (He actually did good in math) They didn't just need to find the answer to the question, but show how they came up with it, in a 2nd grade way. I think they figured it out. (Unlike me, I still have no clue.....)

So, I was looking at the other questions on her math homework and I will share with you one that totally cracked me up!!!!!! They want you to answer the questions and then tell them how you solved them. Sorta like a proof......so here's the question and how my daughter answered it.......

A. _______ + ________ = 12
B. _______ - 4 = 14
C. 8 + _____ + _______ = 26

So, she fills out the answers to those problems and then down below it asks another question...

1. How did you find the answer for C. ? (her answer) By thinking.

Oh gosh, it's true, but for some reason I don't think that was the answer they are looking for. But I also think her teacher will chuckle when she reads it.

3 Yorum var:

Lynsey said...

That's hysterical! "By thinking." It's true though! Way to go Danielle!

Kelli said...

Isn't that way funny. We really need to pay attention to what kids say. The funniest things come out of them.

KAYLEE said...

Haha that is funny!
-kaylee