Thursday, November 30, 2006

The Ghost of Nicholas Greebe


You know, my daughter is seven, she is in the second grade, and I still find myself totally shocked at what they are learning in school, at such a young age. Their reading program allowes the kids to read at their own level, and I would say that Danielle seems in control of how good (or bad) her reading level is. In her school they call their reading program "accelerated reading" or AR. They test the kids and give them an AR level that is appropriate for each child, seperately. Right now, Danielle's AR level of books that she has to read and be tested on are 4.5 to 5.2. These first numbers mean the grade level ( 4th - 5th) and the second mean the percent into the year. So, 4.5 would mean halfway through the 4th grade.

She brings books from the library home every night and needs to read these as many times as it takes so that she can go to school and take a computerized test on how well she comprehended it. So, there are questions about the plot, the outcome, even more stuff that I can't remember but I was suprised that she could pull it off. I mean, I know she is a very smart girl, but I think when I was in second grade, we would have never touched on these subjects. So, school has come a long way.

Here are a few examples of some of the words that she was reading to me out of this perticular book last night..............pilfered(I have no idea what that means..), luminous, coincidence, resonant(don't know that one either..), levitation, ceaseless, precisely, mysterious, exceedingly. These are just some of them. I was baffled. I didn't even know how to pronounce some of these. But she just whipped right through it. Good job Danielle, keep up the great work!!!



0 Yorum var: