Thursday, October 26, 2006

Shut Up and Sing

Three years ago, the Dixie Chicks were performing a concert in London, and Natalie used her right to free speech and stated her opinion about the president and the impending war in Iraq. About 3 days later, on came the death threats, the hate letters, the burning of CD's and the banning of their music on many radio stations.

I know you all have your own opinions about this situation, and you all have every right to them. But, because I have this blog, and the documentary "Shut up and Sing" is about to come to theatres, I just thought I would let everyone know that I have thought it was ridiculous from the start. I mean, we have a first amendment for a reason, people. That's just my opinion. I think the chicks said it best in their song titled "I'm not ready to make nice." here is the paragraph I'm talking about.......

"Its a sad, sad world when a mother could teach her daughter that she outta hate a perfect stranger, and how in the world could the words that I said, send somebody so over the edge, that they'd write me a letter saying that I outta, shut up and sing or my life would be over....."

8 Yorum var:

KAYLEE said...

thanks for the comments and yes i am addicted to baseball but,It is better then wat some people in this
world are addicted too.
-kaylee

KAYLEE said...

and You know what?????I love pink that is why i choose this blog format
-kaylee

Kelli said...

Hey, very true about the addictions!!! Baseball is a good one!!!

Lynsey said...

What I feel, is that these people such as the Dixie Chicks and Barbara Streisand, want to keep their fans-who all have THEIR OWN opinions as well. You can't shout out such strong political statements to an audience of thousands, and NOT expect get a response. It's a ridiculous thing to do, especially when you KNOW not every single one of your fans is going to feel the same way you do. That's my opinion. These celebrities can't stand most of America, yet live such glorious lives here. Makes me sick.

Lynsey said...

Bottom line, they knew they'd get this kind of attention. How could you not? It'd be like going into a bar and shouting "I hate gay people." You're going to get some major haters after your ass! Plain and simple. Sorry I just feel so strongly about this whole thing. I should go blog.
:-)

KAYLEE said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kelli said...

Hey girlie,

I understand what your saying. But we both feel like, way opposite on this issue.

On Oprah they said it was actually nice to know who their "real" fans were. And they don't need or want the ones that hate them for what they believe. So, they seemed ok with that.

I know when I go to a concert, I like the personalized stuff where they say a few words between songs and you sorta get an idea of who they are.. It's exciting to me to get a little more personal. If I don't like the stuff they say, I just buy there album and then I only have to hear their singing, not their talkin'.

Lynsey said...

I agree, when I went to the Tim McGraw/Faith Hill concert, they would mention that there soldiers in the audience, or that we should all take a moment to think about how lucky we are to live in such freedom...see, I think THAT'S a classy thing to say and EVERYONE cheered. It's just a better way to keep your fans, but if you don't care what fans you lost, I guess its not a big deal!