Friday, January 23, 2009

Texas basketball team has 100 to ZERO win.


Wow. I need to vent on this one. I saw this in the newspaper and it made me sick to my stomach. Just to recap a bit.....
A Texas high school GIRLS basketball team beat a rival team 100 to 0. They were up 59 to 0 at halftime. Supposedly, they were still using the full court press up till they hit 100 points. Now the coach of the winning team wants to forfeit the game because he feels bad about the win. WHAT??? Where was he during the game?? It is written that he was on the sidelines cheering his team on and wanting the girls to keep racking up the points. And now he regrets it?? What?? It's a little too late, Mr. Coach. Here is what he had to say about the matter.

"It is shameful and an embarrassment that this happened," Kyle Queal, the head of the school, said in a statement, adding the forfeit was requested because "a victory without honor is a great loss."

This is ridiculous. These schools are supposedly Christian private schools. The coach of the losing team showed his beautiful colors by adding....

"Somewhere during that game they (the winning team) got caught up in the moment," Peloza said of the Covenant players, fans and coaches. "Our girls just moved on. That's the happy part of the story."

I don't know if I could have been as polite as the coach of the "losing" team. He is taking this as a learning experience, and focusing on the good.
If you ask me, I don't think the winning team should be given the option of forfeiting the game. They did this. They were participants in this terrible show of "sportsman-ship". They knew what the score was. They wouldn't let up. So why should they be able to erase what they have done after the fact?? I think the score should stick with the "winning" team forever, so that maybe they will think about what is right or wrong in the future, and make better choices.

One last thing I must add, Danielle is playing basketball right now, and I think the age of the girls has alot to do with it, but these girls play hard, and are happy with the outcome of the game whether they win or loose. The parents of both teams cheer for each other, not just the team their child is on. It is a pleasure to watch both teams working hard, and having fun along with it. Don't get me wrong now, I do think that in the future if kids are going to continue on with competitive sports they need to WANT to win, and have a will to win, but it sure is nice to see the girls all playing "together" and having a great time. For now.

2 Yorum var:

Lynsey said...

I just read that on foxnews.com. What the H? Nothing like sticking the knife in and twisting it AFTER they lose 100 to nothing! I'd be sooooo freakin pissed. They absolutely should not get to forfeit. It's too late now. Let them keep a little bit of dignity for crying out loud.

Kelli said...

I totally agree. I just find it hard to believe that someone didn't tap the coach on the shoulder while the game was in progress and let him know how rediculous he was being. I know I would have!!!