Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Who knew????

I am here in CT, relaxing and enjoying the company of my friends. It is so nice to be out here and learn about this area with them. I am having a great time and it is super beautiful out here.
Ok, so here is a weird thing. They have fireflies out here. And, they really glow. I know, its probably not that weird to some of you who have seen this before, but I have not, so I am in awe when I see them. So, I actually got on the computer and did some research. They don't live in any part of the United States further west than Kansas. (Thus, the reason I have not seen any before....) The glowing is some sort of chemical reaction that they use to find a mate, and sometimes they do it just for kicks. Here is another strange fact.....frogs that eat tons of fireflies actually start to glow themselves. Who knew?????

1 Comment:

Lynsey said...

This post is so cute- with the fireflies. I guess I take them for granted, considering I'm so used to them, but you're right- they're so interesting and pretty. When my little brother came out to visit us, he spent hours outside trying to catch them, he loves them.