Wednesday, July 04, 2007

What happened to my "girlie" girl???

Danielle informed me about a week ago that she would like to change the color scheme in her bedroom. OK, I thought, that shouldn't be a problem. Maybe she is getting tired of the "pepto" pink color along with purples and whites. But, she threw me for a loop when she told me she would like to do her room in BLACK and RED. What??? First of all, those are Wallace Miner colors, and that is not OK around here.....(tiger pride...). Second of all, where did these colors come from??? Who likes these colors??? I didn't think little girls did. At least, I didn't THINK she did. So, after the initial shock of it, I started thinking......black is the "in" color right now in furniture.....I could work with that....., black ACCENTS wouldn't be bad.....I could work with that, so I told her we could go shopping for black bedroom furniture. So, the first bedroom store we went into, she spotted it, not just a black bed, but a black WATER bed. Ok, I will admit, I wanted a water bed when I was little. My friends had water beds, and they were, like, totally cool ...., and my parents quickly shot down that idea by telling me that we had an old, historical home, and that if we put that much weight on the 2nd story (conveniently where my room was)that the bed would probably fall through. So, now I know that they were totally...............LYING..........and I suppose I am over it, but I still don't want to heal my wounds by letting my daughter have one. Don't ask me why. Maybe it's because I think she might get stuck between the water and the side???? Maybe it's because I have a fear of it popping, while all her friends are jumping wildly on top of it??? Maybe because.............well, maybe because I just don't. Can't that be a reason???
So, we went out shopping again today, and we saw a really cool contemporary black bed and we both fell in love with it, and she wanted to get it just as bad as I did, and the water bed thing fell by the wayside. For now, anyway......

2 Yorum var:

Lynsey said...

Yeah I would've put the ix-nay on the black and red too- Wallace Miners suck! But don't be worried about her tastes, I see a lot of kids blowing their parents minds by some of the things they are choosing...the neighbor girl across the street has her room totally decked out in black and turquoise- which actually looks kind of cool. Oh- and totally understand about the waterbed, those things are not only "dangerous" you could tell her, but they are a breeding ground for bacteria...aren't they?

Kelli said...

I don't know.......(couldn't be any worse then the snotty nosed kid who sits next to her in school...sort of kidding, unfortunately...)but I was super happy that the idea went away that fast. I don't think I dropped the topic so fast for my parents.....