Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Don't wait till tomorrow!!!

I recently found out one of my close relatives has cancer. Acute M. Leukemia, actually. He lives in California so he is in treatment down there. My dad and I flew down there to see him and keep him company while he was getting chemo in the hospital. He was sopposed to get out 4 weeks later. It turns out it was worse than the doctors once thought, and he didnt get to go home. He is now in critical condition in the ICU and is dealing with the major effects of late stage bone marrow cancer. Congenitive heart failure, seizures, pain, sores, almost death. At first they thought they found it at the beginning stages. Now they know they didnt. I guess it is just a waiting game now. We just wait to see what will happen next. Will his heart stop again? Will he live another week? Will he live another day?? Those questions just wont get answered until they happen. My dad flew back down there for the third time in a month. My dad puts his life on hold so that he can be with his brother for as long as he can until the worst happens. He would put his life on hold forever if it could change the fate of his brother.
What are you supposed to do when you know someone is dying. I guess all you can do is just be with them. What will help them not be so scared?? What will help them when you know the only thing that will really help is if everything could just be ok. But its not.
I just wanted to put my thoughts down and let people know that each day could be the end. Every day could really be our last. I guess it really doesnt become real to us until someone we know and love is dying or has died. Tell your loved ones you love them. Take a day off work and visit your family. Travel across the town, or county, or state or whatever is in between you and your loved one and be with them. Let them know you love them. Let them know they matter. Let them know they are important to you and they are worth your time. I just know that in one day it can be all over. Then we will all wish we had stayed for one last cup of coffee or one last story or one more night. God if I could turn back time. We would still be around the camp fire laughing, talking, planning, loving and everything else we did best as a family. Next year there is a chance he wont be there, and it just wont be the same. I hope that he knows how much I love him and how much he matters. He is the kindest man I know. I love him and pray for him.........
Kel

2 Yorum var:

Lynsey said...

So sad to hear about that Kel. I will keep him in my thoughts and prayers also. Was just curious, have I met him before?

Kelli said...

Its my uncle Buddy, I think you have. He is the oldest brother of my dad and gale. He has lived in CA for about 25 years but is always here on holidays. I'm sure I have seen pics of you guys over for a holiday and he was also. Thanks for the prayers, he needs all he can get!!