Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Why I love Thrift Stores.


Some of my friends and family really CAN NOT relate to my addiction to local thrift stores. They just don't get it. Why on earth would I get a natural "high" off finding a great deal on something that has been "used" before? Well, I must share with you something I found a month ago.
I tend to make my rounds at local thrift stores about once a week, so I won't miss out on any hidden "treasures". Yes, there have been times I have missed going into them for almost a month, but I find as I drive near them my car just wants to "go there", so I usually let it. Joe doesn't seem to like this hobby of mine. At all. With a capital A. Sorry honey!!!
So, here is my find, and I am totally bummed that I didn't take a before picture, because you are NEVER gonna believe what poor condition this dresser was in when I bought it for $30.00. Yep. 3-0 people. So, I got this idea as I was wandering through local Log Furniture Stores, realizing that I would NEVER be able to afford any of their rustic treasures. I thought......"You know....I think I might be able to make some of this stuff!!!". And by MAKE, I mean, try to put together something that RESEMBLES the real thing....but is nowhere close. So, anyway, I bought the dresser, I went to the hardware store and bought some paint, and some faux wood wallpaper, and I started working. I attached the wallpaper to the dresser drawers, I painted the edges of the dresser and Tadaa!!!!!! Done. And it looks great if I must say so myself. So, I had the picture that I put above it already, and it matches perfect, and I stole the lamp from our river place, because we barely see it anyway, and I bought a couple outdoor magazines, and I was done.
So, after $45.00 total, I have a "brand" new rustic looking dresser. At like 1/16th of the price I would have paid at that Log Furniture Store. There. Now ya know why I can't live without my thrift stores. You should check them out sometime. But keep your grubby hands off the stuff I might want. :-)

2 Yorum var:

Lynsey said...

You've just inspired me to start shopping at Thrift Stores. My husband might kill you for it, but let the shopping begin!
Thanks Kel!
PS- that IS a nice dresser...

Kelli said...

Thanks!!! I know you're gonna LOVE it. I mean, I don't know how they are over there, but the ones near our house here don't stink like moth balls like the ones up in the valley.....yuck...